- The airport started life in 1941 as an RAF base known as Middleton-St-George.
- Aircraft developments meant extensive airside renovation took place during the period 1957 to 1963, when the air base became an RAF aerodrome.
- In 1964 the aerodrome was handed over for civil use and was designated the task of becoming a commercial airport for the region.
- £1.4 million was spent on the airport to make it suitable for commercial passengers before reopening in 1966.
- The first flight out of Durham Tees airport was to Manchester and since then the airport has been home to a number of airlines offering several scheduled flights to European destinations every week.