- The first flight into Islay took place in 1933 when the Glasgow-Campbeltown service was extended to the island.
- This service landed on the north of the island, where a temporary airstrip was put; but the location of this (on the shore) meant that a new location was required to meet the demands for more regular flights.
- By 1940 the airport had moved to its new location in Glenegedale, and in 1942 the demands of the war resulted in a hard runway being put in place.
- During the war the site was used as a training ground for RAF pilots.
- After the war, the airport resumed normal civil passenger services, and this has remained the case since.