- The airport was built for a mere £35,000, and opened in summer 1935.
- In the 1950s, package deals resulted in 5,500 passengers travelling through Newcastle per year.
- The airport was renovated and added to during the 1960s.
- The number of passengers travelling through Newcastle international continued to grow - 700,000 per year during the 1970s, 1.2 million in the 1980s and 1.7 million in the 1990s. The current figure for the turn of the 21st century is 3.8 million passengers - over twice what it was ten years ago.
- Throughout the 80s and 90s a great deal of development took place, including new terminal buildings and updated facilities inside.
- The most recent development has been a £27million extension to the building.