- Aircraft were first around the airport site in 1913.
- In 1935 the land was acquired and used as a training airfield; and had a control tower, offices, lecture rooms and hangars.
- When WWII started, the airport played a major role in handling and producing war aircraft.
- In 1941 the original aircraft factory was demolished and rebuilt, and is still standing today.
- In 1958 plans for a new terminal building were announced by the government. As well as a new terminal building, it was planned that a freight building, a new control tower and an extension to the runway would also be added.
- In 1960 the airport had its most famous passenger pass through its doors - Elvis Presley.
- In 1962 the new control tower was opened, and two years later the terminal building was also declared open.